Search This Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Writer's Gift

What gift can I writer give? Why, her words, of course!

In our last journaling meeting, my friend Andrea started writing about a memory of her father that just popped into her head. That was during the first prompt which was simply finish with the words “I am thinking of…”. After that, she kept working on that idea for the rest of the evening. (One of the nice things about our journaling group is that no matter what the writing prompt is, people are free to write whatever they feel like writing.) During each reading time then, she let us see how her story was developing. She was surprised by what she was producing and encouraged by the oohs and ahhs that accompanied each reading. At the end of the evening, she exclaimed, “Now I’ve just about got a Christmas gift for my dad!”

How cool is that?!

I have no idea how she plans to present her words, but I know that her story will be the best gift he gets this year – maybe even ever! I am also certain that h will remember and treasure this gift for the rest of his life.

How cool is that?!

We are blessed with this gift of words. Claim it! Own it! And feel the exhilaration of this gift deep in your soul! Then let this joy spill over into the confidence to share it with others.

You can write a story or a poem, or even a good, old-fashioned letter. These days, a hand-written letter is extremely rare. What a wonderful gift! You can package your words on pretty paper or laminate them on bookmarks. You can insert personal pictures and you can make a little booklet bound with a festive ribbon. There are a lot of ways to present your words, but don’t get so caught up in the packaging that you freeze yourself out of the writing.

First sit down and write. No one else in the world can choose the words you will choose or string them together in the way that you can. This is precisely what makes the gift of your words so wonderful!

Here are some story-starter prompts to get you going. Just begin with the words for each prompt and write non-stop for at least five minutes and see where it takes you.

Starter Prompts
I remember when you and I …
I always think of you whenever I …
The friendship we share is special because …
Your _____ has influenced me by …
You are a role model because …
Red (or any other color) represents you because of your …
I never laughed so hard as when we …
Wasn’t it amazing that we …
When you and I were …

No comments:

Post a Comment