There was an error in this gadget

Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2010

Final HUB update

My original goal with my HUB challenge was to write and post at least five HUBs a week. I hoped that exposure on the internet through HUB pages would result in increased traffic and added followers on my blog. The challenge began with the idea that by writing HUBs, I would be able to increase traffic to my website and blog. A subsequent goal then was to get at least 20 new followers on my blog. The time duration for this challenge was five weeks.


Soon after I got started, however, I got side-tracked by also writing articles for Associated Content. I managed to crank out a minimum of five articles each week, but not a total of five solely for HUB publication.


Well, I averaged four HUBs for a total of 16 during the challenge. I battled myself the whole time however, with the question of purpose. I was doubtful that HUB writing would result in more followers on my blog. Self-sabotage from the start, and no, I didn’t get 20 followers during that time period. I thought I could avoid philosophical, theoretical and existential questioning for at least 4 weeks! I thought I could just shoot for the goal of production – pure and simple, but I couldn’t; I battled the questions all the way.


My conclusion at this point in time is that publishing on the internet is an important aspect of gaining a following on a blog, but not necessarily the most important. One outlet is not necessarily more important than any other, but rather as important as others. In other words, I think it is necessary to diversify your avenues. Hmm, it seems I’ve come full circle because I started the HUB challenge because I was feeling overwhelmed with all my diversity…


I think I found a happy medium, at least for now. Here is my conclusion:


Yes, write HUBs and publish them; do it regularly. But also write articles and publish them on article directories. In addition, write and publish on other sites for writers as well. And there’s more – write blog posts, comment on the blogs you follow, and write for contests… really, the list of opportunities goes on and on. The point is this: write regularly. Then diversify your product. Bulking it all in one place is not necessary.


I started the HUB challenge for myself because I felt I was spreading myself too thinly – trying to do some of everything and not enough of anything. What I have learned from this experience is that it is important to be steady and consistent in my production of good articles. I have also been able to hone in on a few of my choice sites for publishing my work which has freed me from the chaotic feeling of needing to do it all and send it everywhere. I am not limiting myself to HUBs or Associated Content or working for my clients, or any other one outlet; instead I am producing more on a regular basis than I was before I started this challenge.


Like most things in life, I didn’t get what I expected from doing that experiment, but I did get something unexpected and ultimately, very valuable. I believe that consistency and persistence is really the way to practice my craft and eventually gain followers on my blog. I think the key there, is in the word eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment