Search This Blog

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Finer Things Challenge: Norma

Several days ago I posted a piece about the “finer things in life”, suggesting that such things are not necessarily expensive items, but rather “unassuming moments when you are caught by surprise and taken on a spirit-soar”.

I asked readers to free-fall back into memory to find their own “finer things” and to share them with me.

Following is an excerpt from Norma’s blog, 
Scrappy Grams, in response to this prompt:

Linen table cloths, fabric place mats and cloth napkins are some things I picture when I hear the phrase fine living, or the finer things of life. It connotes to me old movies (a fondness of mine) with the romantic couple sitting at a table covered with a fancy linen tablecloth, beautiful lacy napkins and crystal wine glasses filled with sweet red wine.

My uncle David got me started on using place mats and cloth napkins, even for everyday use, when he was a salesman of kitchen and bath items to retail stores in Texas and surrounding states.  One year when my family visited him, he stocked me up on samples he no longer needed.  I've used place mats and cloth napkins ever since then.  No plastic mats and paper napkins for me or my guests.  Using these things fits in with my "green" side too.  No filling up the dumps with my napkins and mats!  


No comments:

Post a Comment